Why come out to Pye Rec on Saturday? Don’t you have something better to do than give away balloons and popcorn to strangers?
Maybe, but I’m going to be there to smile and give stuff to people–as a small little gesture that says, “God loves you, no strings attached”.
Join me praying that people ask, “why?” Why are we are giving away free food at our Sunday Lunches? We do it because He loves us and we want to share a symbol of that love by serving an enjoyable meal, with some friendship thrown in as well. He is interested in putting a smile on people’s faces.
You’re invited to come and enjoy the Festival, the bouncy castle, our free popcorn, a CLC Sunday Lunch balloon.
And you’re welcome to have a go with the popcorn popping cart, the balloon blower-upper hand-pump.
You can even join us giving away invites to our Sunday Lunches and free smiles.
Why? Because He loves us and we want to share that love with others who He loves too.
Why? Because church comes alive in a dynamic fun way when we are together outdoors in the fresh air, in our communities, sharing our Life with new folks.
Why? Because He loves and He said to ‘go and make disciples‘.
I love worshiping Him by singing. It’s my favourite way to express my love to Him with others. But do you know what’s good about getting out of the four walls of our church meeting place? Witness!
Yes, our lives speak of Him every day. At the school gate in our relationships and at workplace–the respect and value we have for people is a witness to the God we serve and the Life of Him in us–as individuals.
But what about when we get out in the community to serve those He loves? We are taking action to communicate the Gospel to people who won’t hear it in our church gatherings. We are showing His love to those in a way that I think are answers to prayers for His beloved! And we are doing together what we can’t do alone. The Bible verse about a chord of three strings is not easily broken is used as an analogy for husband, wife and God. It can be used for us as His people working together too.
The Chesterton Festival, on June 17th, is a community event where we have can work together to express His unconditional love for unchurched in our community.
Similarly, this Sunday, 30th April, we can meet together at Daily Bread to litter pick the area and pray as an act of worship, being church without walls!
Litter Pickers, fun for the little ones
Here’s some ideas to get us started:
- All together: let’s dedicate this time to Him, thanking Him that we can be with Him anywhere,anytime–like now and here!
- In a pair: look for an area, a location or a landmark and thank God as you make your way to it. Thank Him specifically for who He is, what He’s done.
- on your own, or as a family: walk (or run!) to another location and when you get there ask Him for something for yourself, your family, neighbourhood and city. This can be quick and fun–why not try just blurting out a phrase? It doesn’t need to be formal. i.e. “sleep!”, “grades!”, “healed depression!”. He knows what we mean before we even ask. For example, kids run to the slide and decide what you’ll pray. Then pray it out on your way down the slide!
- your own idea: In the flow, try your own fun and informal way to pray on the move
- Together again to finish: Any prayers you overhead from others inspire you? Want to repeat a prayer you heard from one of the kids to cultivate your child-likeness? Go for it!
Is this just a time to be somber? Is this a church activity for grownups only?
No! Anyone who calls Jesus their Lord is invited to eat and drink in the way Jesus teaches us to remember His sacrifice for us on the Cross.
It’s sometimes referred to as the Lords Supper, or Holy Communion. People often get serious when then think of Jesus dying for our sins, which is understandable. But on the other hand, we might communion can be a time for us to remember Jesus coming back to life and our freedom–with joy!
Sarah reminding us that we eat bread to remember how Jesus nourishes our soul and we drink wine to remind ourselves how Jesus is the vine and we are connected to Him to get our life.
Luke 22:19, John 6:35, John 15,
You are invited
to Sunday Lunch!
3rd Sunday of the month *
at St. Andrews Church Hall
come for food, friendship, family
* Note: April Sunday Lunch is on 2nd April